Pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) is a safe and effective daily pill that may reduce your risk greatly of HIV disease. PrEP is more able to stopping HIV it every day if you take
To get going on PrEP, speak to your regular medical practitioner or nursing assistant click to read, or search for a intimate health Clinic. There are also other clinics that offer PrEP by calling 311 or visiting the NYC wellness Map.
Is PrEP right in my situation?
To discover if PrEP is suitable for you, first get tested for HIV. PrEP is actually for HIV-negative people that are prepared to simply take a regular pill.
You should think about PrEP that is taking if:
- Try not to always utilize condoms while having sex
- Recently possessed an infection (sti that is sexually transmitted
- Have significantly more than one intimate partner
- Have partner who may have intercourse with other lovers
- Have partner who has got HIV and a detectable or unknown load that is viral
- Want to conceive by having a partner that has HIV
- Have partner whom will not obtain an HIV test
- Have intercourse for the money, medications or destination to remain
- Inject medications or have partner whom injects medications
How can PrEP stop HIV?
If you’re subjected to HIV, the medications in PrEP stop the herpes virus from spreading during your human body, preventing an HIV disease. PrEP just works so you need to take PrEP every day if you have enough medicine in your body.
Truvada® — the medication that is only authorized as PrEP — is a mix of emtricitabine (Emtriva®) and tenofovir (Viread®). They are the exact same safe medications that lots of people with HIV used to continue to be healthy.
Is PrEP safe? Do you know the unwanted effects?
PrEP is safe. Truvada®, has been utilized to deal with individuals with HIV since 2004.
Many people on PrEP usually do not report any negative effects. For many who do, the essential common negative effects are sickness, upset belly, weakness and headaches. These signs usually have better or go away in the very first thirty days of using PrEP. Rare unwanted effects consist of bone or kidney issues. Your medical professional or nursing assistant makes it possible to manage any relative unwanted effects.
How good does PrEP work?
PrEP decreases the possibility of getting HIV through intercourse by over 90% for those who just take the tablet at the least four times per week. Your HIV danger is a lot reduced invest the PrEP each day.
Since PrEP had been introduced in 2012, it’s helped reduce brand new HIV infections across new york.
If We simply take PrEP, do We nevertheless need certainly to make use of condoms?
PrEP is definitely A hiv that is effective selection for individuals who don’t use condoms whenever they have sexual intercourse, but PrEP just protects you against HIV. Condoms prevent other STIs and unintended maternity.
How can I just simply take PrEP?
With PrEP, you take a tablet when a time, even on times you don’t have sex or inject medications.
PrEP is prescribed with a physician or nursing assistant.
- That you do not have HIV and that your kidneys and liver are healthy before you start PrEP: Your doctor or nurse will test you to make sure.
- When you are on PrEP: your medical professional or nurse will test you every 3 months for HIV as well as minimum every half a year for any other STIs.
For more information on what to anticipate whenever using PrEP, see an individual’s help Guide to PrEP (PDF) Espaсol.
Just how long does it simply just take for PrEP to the office?
Studies claim that you will need to just simply just take PrEP that is daily for minimum:
- A week before PrEP provides maximum security when you will be the receptive or “bottom” partner during rectal intercourse.
- Twenty times before PrEP provides protection that is maximum you may be the receptive partner during genital intercourse, or whenever you inject medications.
It is really not yet understood exactly how many times you’ll want to simply just just take PrEP you are the insertive or “top” partner during anal or vaginal sex before it can provide maximum protection when.
How to pay money for PrEP?
In nyc State, PrEP is included in Medicaid & most medical insurance plans.
You may be eligible for a patient assistance program that helps pay for PrEP if you do not have insurance or have a high co-pay. Medical clinics can additionally assist patients apply. You are able to register as a low-cost insurance coverage by calling 311.
Find out more about your Payment choices for PrEP (PDF).
May I get PrEP if i will be an undocumented immigrant
Immigration status will not impact your capability getting PrEP. You’ll properly talk to staff at our Health that is sexual clinics how your immigration status may impact your alternatives for PrEP as well as other HIV prevention techniques.
That I am on PrEP if I am covered by my parents’ insurance, will they be notified?
No. Even though you are more youthful than 18, parental authorization isn’t needed to begin PrEP. Your PrEP prescription and visits that are related the hospital are going to be private.
You can take steps to stop an “Explanation of Benefits” form from being sent to your parents or policyholder if you are covered by your parents’ insurance. Your PrEP provider can assist you with this specific process.
Exactly exactly exactly How else could I remain HIV-negative?
- Find out about crisis PEP. You were recently exposed to HIV, go immediately to your doctor or an emergency room and ask for PEP, an emergency medication that can prevent HIV if you are not taking PrEP and think. You could phone the NYC PEP hotline at 844-3-PEPNYC (844-373-7692), to begin with on PEP straight away. The hotline can be obtained 24/7.
- Utilize condoms as frequently as feasible. Get the type and size of condom you would like. Condoms are around for free in most five boroughs. To get our where you could get yourself a condom that is free call 311 or go to the NYC Health Map
- Use lube. Utilize water-based or silicone-based lubricant, particularly during anal intercourse.
- Get tested for HIV. An HIV test may be the best way to determine if you or perhaps a partner has HIV.
- Speak to your lovers about evaluation. Pose a question to your intercourse lovers in regards to the final time they had an HIV test. To make sure, get tested together.
- Help your partners coping with HIV. Encourage partners coping with HIV to have HIV care and just take their medicines every time, so that they remain healthy plus don’t pass HIV to other people.
- Get checked for any other STIs. STIs causes it to be better to get or spread HIV.
- Prevent drugs and alcohol when you yourself have sex. Consuming or getting high when you’ve got intercourse makes it difficult to keep in mind to utilize condoms. For assist to prevent using, call 888-NYC-WELL (888-692-9355). Interpreters are around for over 200 languages.
- Utilize syringes that are cleanPDF). In the event that you inject medications, avoid syringes that are sharing cookers, cottons and drug solutions. Learn where you could get clean syringes in the town.
PrEP for females
PrEP can be an effective hiv avoidance selection for cisgender and transgender females whenever taken daily.
Women that have actually genital sex should be specially careful to simply just take PrEP each day to keep sufficient medication in their genital muscle to avoid an HIV infection.
Women that have sex with ladies and whom might be subjected to HIV through sex or injecting medications can additionally reap the benefits of PrEP.
Will PrEP affect my contraception?
No. Studies have shown that PrEP will not hinder hormone-based birth prevention. PrEP just stops HIV, which means you nevertheless need certainly to utilize birth prevention or condoms to stop pregnancy that is unintended other STIs.
Will PrEP restrict my hormones treatment?
No. There’s no evidence that PrEP interacts with estrogens (or progestins) or impacts the quantities of hormones within you. Studies have discovered that transgender ladies who just take PrEP daily are protected from HIV.
Can I simply just simply take PrEP while hoping to get expecting or nursing?
Yes. PrEP can protect ladies who want to conceive a young child by having A hiv-positive partner. PrEP is safe for the mom and youngster both during and after maternity, and it has maybe perhaps perhaps not demonstrated an ability to influence fertility.
If you’d like to just take PrEP while attempting to conceive, consult with your physician. You may need certainly to consult a specialist for lots more guidance about making use of PrEP in this way.