Locate A Wife Abroad&Spouses of U.S. People
Generally speaking, you might be eligible for a naturalization under Section 319(a) associated with Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) if your
- Were a permanent resident (Green Card owner) for at the very least three years
- Have already been located in marital union with all the exact same U.S. citizen spouse during such time
- Meet all other eligibility requirements under this area
In some instances, partners of U.S. citizens used abroad may be eligible for a naturalization no matter their time as permanent residents. These partners may qualify under part 319(b) associated with the INA.
For information associated with spouses of armed forces people, see our people in the Military and their loved ones page. Additionally for information regarding learning to be a permanent resident or petitioning for loved ones, please go to our Green hit website Card or Family websites.
General Eligibility Needs
To qualify for naturalization pursuant to section 319(a) associated with INA, an applicant must:
- Be 18 or older
- Be considered a resident that is permanentGreen Card owner) for at the least 36 months straight away preceding the date of filing Form N-400, Application for Naturalization
- Have now been residing in marital union using the U.S. resident partner, that has been a U.S. resident during each of such period, through the three years straight away preceding the date of filing the applying or more until assessment regarding the application
- Have lived in the state, or USCIS region with jurisdiction throughout the applicant’s spot of residence, for at the very least three months before the date of filing the applying
- Have actually constant residence in the usa as a lawful resident that is permanent at minimum 36 months straight away preceding the date of filing the program
- Live constantly in the usa from the date of application for naturalization until the right period of naturalization
- Be physically contained in the usa for at the least 18 months out from the three years straight away preceding the date of filing the application form
- Have the ability to read, compose, and talk English while having knowledge and an awareness of U.S. history and federal government (also referred to as civics)
- Be an individual of great character that is moral connected to the maxims regarding the Constitution regarding the united states of america, and well disposed towards the good purchase and delight regarding the united states of america during all appropriate periods underneath the legislation
Partners of U.S. People Employed Abroad
Generally speaking, the partner of the U.S. resident that is utilized by the U.S. federal federal government, like the army, or any other qualifying boss, whose partner is planned become stationed abroad this kind of work for at the least one year during the time of filing, might be entitled to naturalization under part 319(b) regarding the INA.
Generally speaking, a partner of a U.S. resident employed abroad must certanly be contained in the usa pursuant to an admission that is lawful permanent residence during the time of assessment from the naturalization application and also at enough time of naturalization, and meet of all the needs in the list above except that:
- No certain duration being a permanent resident (Green Card owner) is necessary (nevertheless the spouse must certanly be a resident that is permanent
- No particular amount of continuous residence or real existence in the usa is necessary
- No particular amount of marital union is needed; nonetheless, the partners needs to be in a legitimate marriage at the full time of filing before the time of naturalization.
Note: you have to additionally establish which you intend to reside in the United States immediately upon the termination of your spouse’s employment abroad that you will depart abroad immediately after naturalization and.